Saturday, October 13, 2012

In Which I Prove that Central Indiana is Not Flat ;-)

Before we moved here, I worried that the Carmel/Indianapolis area would be completely flat, mostly cornfields and buildings, with few trees. Luckily, there are more than enough trees, what cornfields there are look beautiful rather than boring, and it's not completely flat. There are hills here and there, and I have the photographic evidence to prove it!

Last month, the parks and countryside were erupting with wildflowers. One lovely Sunday, while Ryan stayed home with a napping Christian, I took the two older boys to West Park (aka Broken Arm Park) so we could take a walk.


In addition to the playground area, West Park has some walking paths that wind through fields and trees.





And what's that in the distance? Why, it's a hill!


I don't know whose idea it was to build a random hill (there are several of them actually--this one is the biggest), but my boys certainly enjoy climbing up it and enjoying the view from the top. A sidewalk zigzags up the front, or you can clamber over the rocks.


On this visit to the park, we walked farther than usual along the path, so the boys were able to climb on the two smaller hills as well.

At the top of the smallest hill



Climbing up the medium-sized hill

And down again!

My favorite photo



Worn out


Almost back to the car, but we needed a little rest

I definitely can't say that Carmel is as hilly as Virginia, and that's something I miss, but it does make us appreciate all the more the (real) rolling hills that we do actually have.

No comments:

Post a Comment